Pleasantries and manners:
starched swish of crinolined skirts,
shadowed by tapered candles, flickering;
crystal singing on the dinner table
with cigars in the parlor and
soft voices in the garden;
the muted clicks of carriage wheels,
passing, rolling on the cobbled street.
It is a fine and private place,
now occupying a lone space,
but still offering a seat
in the garden.
The Campbell House was the first home to occupy a lot in Lucas Place. Built in 1851, it was the home of the fur trader Robert Campbell and his descendants from 1854 to 1938. Today, it is the only former residence left on Lucas Place, and houses a museum of life in St. Louis in the Victorian period. The official address today is 1508 Locust St.
The photograph below is a picture of Hugh Campbell’s diary, a photostat of which can be seen at the museum. Hugh was the older brother of Robert.